Monday, March 25, 2013

Cat in the Hat at Jumpstart

How do you pick just ONE of Dr. Seuss’ quotes?  I can’t do it, so here are a few of my many favorites!

 

I like nonsense; it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living; it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities.” ~Dr. Seuss

 

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”  ~Dr. Seuss

 

“A person's a person, no matter how small.”

~Dr. Seuss

 

 

Another great day spent in the Jumpstart as we celebrated one of my favorite author’s birthdays.  I also got to spend time with a great group of kids, a great teacher (Miss Stacey) and one of my best friends, who decided to join me, Miss Deb.  I just love Dr. Seuss books, and love the way kiddos are just engrossed in the book, even if they have heard it 100 times before!  I couldn’t decide which story I wanted to read, but Cat in the Hat seemed to be the way to go.  Of course the Lorax is always a great choice too, but time only allowed one story.  I was surprised when Miss Deb showed up with a gift for me~ a Cat in the Hat in a box with my own hat and a new copy of the book for me!  I was thrilled to get to wear it into the Jumpstart classroom. 

 

We read the story, Cat in the Hat, and when I say we, I mean the students enjoyed chiming in during the parts they remembered.  We completed a sorting activity, talking about different kinds of weather and what pictures went in each category. We talked about what we liked to do on rainy days and then illustrated our rainy day activities and dictated, or helped write, a sentence about our pictures.

 

We then made our own hats, the same shape as the Cat’s, but ours were decorated very differently.  We discuss how they were the same and different from the Cat’s and from each other’s!

 

And last, but not least, we put an ice cream cone “hat” on top of a scoop of ice cream.  We used various sweets to decorate our dessert to look like the Cat in the Hat!  Not only fun, but yummy!!

 

I am already looking forward to my next visit!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment