Sunday, July 1, 2012

It ends....

"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end." ~Semisonic
If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies. ~Author Unknown Before I begin talking about the upcoming school year, let me tell you a bit about the one that just ended. Due to a school consolidation, the elementary school I had come to know as my second home, and the teachers I had come to know as my second family were being divided among the other three elementary schools. This was very scary for many of us who had been at Center Street Elementary School for years and, as our previous principal of 26 years had said, we were handpicked by him because he knew we complimented each other and would form a strong team. We were all concerned about the students who had established friendships in this true community school as they were divided amongst the three other elementary schools, and the uncertainty of where we would be going. Change is always difficult. We tried to go out in style with a smile for the approximately 200 students. Our end of the year events included a field trip to a Binghamton Mets game, a water play day, a pizza party and much, much more....and as always, we ended our year with the students' talent days. However, there was a twist in store for our last weekly program, Sing and Celebrate. I am sharing a video that shows how much fun the Center Street Pandas could have. (Please excuse the quality. My husband was using a little digital camera from the back of the room.) Leading the event is one of the best administrators I have had the pleasure of working with. Take a look at the fun we had....
Every Center Street student and faculty member left their "mark" on the wall that leads to the playground. This building will soon become the administration building for the district and will be the home to a couple of pre-k programs run through the local YMCA.
The fourth grade class smiling for one of their last photos at the school many of them had attended for five years. Many of these kiddos were students I worked with for several years!
Part of the greatness of my position at Center Street was that I was able to enjoy many different age/grade levels throughout a day. I was always on the go, but as well as teaching, I learned so much from some many. Some of these lessons were teaching strategies, others were lessons I learned about myself...my strengths, my weaknesses. This is a picture of the kindergarten classroom that I worked with very closely, and absolutely loved. The last kindergarten graduation from Center Street Elementary.
The last day at Center Street, each of the faculty, staff, and students were presented with these medallions. What a wonderful keepsake that I will always hold close to my heart.
This is our last group photo as Center Street faculty. On the far left was the principal of Center Street for the 26 years preceeding the latest principal.
“I guess it's going to have to hurt, I guess I'm going to have to cry, And let go of some things I've loved to get to the other side I guess it's going to break me down, Like fallin when you try to fly, Sad but sometimes moving on with the rest of your life starts with goodbye” ― Carrie Underwood

No comments:

Post a Comment